Questions asked by anonymous people with questions about DUI’s and other criminal charges

Can I change my DUI plea after I get a sentence?

Question: I decided not to hire a DUI attorney and entered a plea for a DUI in Glendale Court with a pretty big sentence. Can I change my plea after I got a sentenced? I am thinking that I want to take my chances with a trial.

Answer: It is possible to enter a withdrawal of plea, but it needs to meet certain issues, not just a “change of heart” after you made the plea. Also, generally speaking, the withdrawal of plea must be made within 180 days of entering the plea. If granted, the case is reopened and continues (generally speaking) as if you did not enter a plea. So if you decide to go to trial on the matter and lose, you would be sentenced at that point, you can not decide that you want to reinstate the plea that you withdrew. Of course, if you take it to trial and win…then it was a good decision to withdraw the plea.


Phil Hache
Law Offices of Phil Hache

About Phil Hache

I am happy to speak to you about your case. Feel free to contact me at (818) 336-1384 for a free consultation to discuss your situation in more detail.

Submit Comment

Find us on Google+ | Google

The information on this website is for general information only and your reading of it does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Philip D. Hache.  Information on this website is not legal advice for any individual case, investigation, or any other legal matter. The Law Office of Philip D. Hache may only be engaged as legal counsel by a client after the prospective client and the Law Office of Philip D. Hache each agrees to the specific terms and conditions of the representation, such terms and conditions are set forth in a written engagement agreement signed by both parties.   The Law Office of Philip D. Hache does not necessarily endorse or approve of the materials appearing on any website which links within the Law Office of Philip D. Hache website may lead, nor do the owners of such other websites necessarily endorse or approve of the materials contained within this website.