Questions asked by anonymous people with questions about DUI’s and other criminal charges

Question: Can I get my marijuana offense reduced with a medical marijuana card?

Question: Can I get my marijuana offense reduced with a medical marijuana card?  I have a valid MMC card so I am thinking that it should help fight against the charges in my case.  I have no prior history of arrests or anything like that.  Good person.  I am hoping that having my MMC will allow me to fight the case.  Any thoughts on that?

Answer: In certain situations in can help. What are you charged with?  Many people ask me if being a medical marijuana card holder will help in their defense against a marijuana DUI.  The answer to that question, generally speaking, is no.  Even if the state of California approves you possessing marijuana, it does not approve of you driving if your driving is impaired by the marijuana to the extent that your driving ability is suspect.  Similarly, if you are over 21 years old, it is legal in California to consume alcohol, but it is not legal to drive under the influence of alcohol.

That being said, marijuana DUI charges are often very good cases to defend as (at the time of answering this question) there is no “per se” law like there is with alcohol.  What that means is, unlike alcohol, there is no set limit where that states if your THC level is “x”, you are guilty of driving under the influence.  With alcohol, there is a .08 Blood alcohol limit under VC 23152.  So if the prosecutor can prove (beyond a reasonable doubt), that your blood alcohol content At the time of driving  was .08 or higher, you could be convicted of VC 23152(b) even if your driving was okay, and you did well on field sobriety tests.

If you are being charged with trafficking….the Medical Marijuana card may not help as much as you would hope (although it doesn’t hurt, and there are other potential defenses to the charges). If it is a lesser possession of marijuana charge (ie. 11357), then it can help a lot.


Phil Hache
Criminal Defense and DUI Lawyer

About Phil Hache

I am happy to speak to you about your case. Feel free to contact me at (818) 336-1384 for a free consultation to discuss your situation in more detail.

Related Posts

Submit Comment

Find us on Google+ | Google

The information on this website is for general information only and your reading of it does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Philip D. Hache.  Information on this website is not legal advice for any individual case, investigation, or any other legal matter. The Law Office of Philip D. Hache may only be engaged as legal counsel by a client after the prospective client and the Law Office of Philip D. Hache each agrees to the specific terms and conditions of the representation, such terms and conditions are set forth in a written engagement agreement signed by both parties.   The Law Office of Philip D. Hache does not necessarily endorse or approve of the materials appearing on any website which links within the Law Office of Philip D. Hache website may lead, nor do the owners of such other websites necessarily endorse or approve of the materials contained within this website.